Every so often (read: everyday), I crave dessert. However, I recognize that indulging in highly sweet, non-nutritional desserts everyday doesn’t really play well with “bathing suit season.” So I’ve had to be a bit creative to meet the demands of my colicky sweet-tooth while still watching the waistline.
Here are my 10 favourite sweet indulgences that don’t leave me extremely bloated:
1. sliced apple and (preferrably natural) peanut butter
2. flavoured Greek yogurt (I love Liberte brand)
3. plain Greek yogurt mixed with a Tbsp or so of nutella, served with raspberries (you have to mix the yogurt and nutella really well to get a dreamy, whipped texture).
4. Grapefruit segments!!!
5. Whatever fruit is in season (natural, delicious sugar= winning).
6. Skinny Pop (sold at Costco and other grocers) for when you need a salty dessert.
7. Melt high-cocoa content dark chocolate (over the stove or microwave) and dip strawberries. Allow to cool and harden before enjoying.
8. From the “Oh She Glows” cookbook: blend frozen bananas with a bit of nutella/peanut butter (or just blend the bananas) until you get a creamy, soft serve texture. Enjoy immediately!
9. Costco “fruit bowl” sorbets. I think the brand is “Island Way” and these are an amazing dessert on excruciatingly hot summer days.
10. A glass of wine (“whaaaaa? That’s not dessert!” and I hear you. But I recently read an interview in a health mag with Kate Hudson. She said she was eating at a cafe in France, still enjoying a glass of wine when she ordered dessert. A very frank woman came over to her and said “that’s your dessert” and pointed to her still-full wine glass. Even though the lady might be cray, she has a point- we should enjoy our indulgences one at a time).
There’s lot of funny quips about desserts- “desserts are stressed backwards” etc. etc. The fact of the matter is we can justify eating unhealthy dessert sometimes, but not everyday. So try one of these 10 “more justifiable” desserts, and maybe you’ll find a new favourite!!