I wanted to share a common nutrition tip that I often take for granted. My dietician suggested that I work towards balancing all meals AND snacks with a carb and a protein source.
Here are my suggestions for snacks that meet the criteria:
- Homemade trail mix (mine is a handful almonds, pepitas, dried cranberries and raisins)
- Greek yogurt with homemade granola
- Sliced fruit or crackers with nut butter
- 3 or 4 crackers with a “domino” serving of cheese/laughing cow cheese
- Home-popped popcorn with melted butter (not the most balanced but so delicious!)
- Applesauce and almonds
I remember I protested, saying “But what about veggies? I need to eat more veggies.” My dietician was right when she said that people have limited success when trying to incorporate more veggies into their snacks. Instead, she suggested I try to “hide” more veggies in my meals, whether that be in a breakfast smoothee, pasta sauce, pizza, etc.
I’m really into the dietician’s suggestions so far, but she said that based on my health history, I should try a low-FODMAP regime. I’m not sure what it involves (other than avoiding cow dairy, certain produce and some gluten sources) or the science behind it, so I’m going to do some research. Next week I’m away on a trip to Dominican, but when I get back I’m sure I will have lots to share about my low-FODMAP experience.